Monday, January 7, 2013

Of course I'm crafty, I used to work at Michael's....15. Complete one Pinterest craft project

Every girl can agree with me that Pinterest is a giant time suck.  We spend hour after hour browsing pictures of amazing (& unrealistic) ideas from home decorating to exercise plans for a kick ass body.  I have a wide array of Pinboards ranging from wedding planning to clothes and outfits I will never own.  I created one of my Pinboards "Of Course I'm Crafty, I used to Work at Michael's" because I did.  And when I did, I was crafty.  I believe that I still am just as crafty with 1000x less time to work on projects.  That is why I added to complete at least one Pinterest craft project to my bucket list.  Technically it is my first Pinterest project too!  Double bonus!

1.  Start a blog
2. Go to the Presidential Inauguration / visit DC
3. Run a destination 1/2 Marathon
4. Compete in Mrs. Missouri pageant [in progress]
4. Eating a raw oyster
6. Ride a mechanical bull
7. Cook a traditional Thanksgiving dinner by myself

8. Shoot a gun/target shooting
9.  Go Mushroom hunting

10.  Learn to sew / make something I can wear
11. Visit a state I have never been to
12. Ride in a hot air balloon
13. Learn to play craps
14. Eat at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ
15. Complete one Pinterest craft project
16. Take a walking tour of a Civil War Battlefield
17. Learn to make a pie from scratch
18. Make Grandma's kolache cookies correctly

19. Take a shot of Jack Daniels
20. Take a cake decorating class and then decorate my own cake

21. Do at least one pull-up
22. Visit Graceland
23. Take a train ride/ weekend trip to Herman, Mo.
24. Make homemade pasta
25. Run a 8 min/mile 5K
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.


I had to carefully choose my project and keep it small so I would actually finish it.  But I also wanted the project to be slightly challenging so I would learn something new.  This bucket list is supposed to challenge me, right?   I choose to make a Monogram Wreath via www.twotwentyone.net.  Since I changed my name almost 3 years ago, I became a fan of the monogram.  I haven't gone too overboard yet.  I have only monogram bathroom towels and coasters.  It appeared to be the perfect project.



Since my Pinboard references my employment at Michael's Arts & Crafts I went shopping at Michael's in Joetown.  I veered slightly from the blog because Michael's did not sell paper mache letters (apparently not in season, who knew?).  In an effort to keep my project close to the original, I purchased 2 wooden letters to mimic the width of the paper mache letter (I regretted that later).

Supplies for  my project: 2 wooden letters, 100 yards of jute twine, felt flowers and green glitter ribbon (another regret).  The original gal made her own felt flowers.  I choose the easy way out, don't judge...

Every girl needs a pink glue gun!! :) 

The gal in the post made this sound super easy.  All you need to do is wrap the jute around the letter and occasionally gun the jute down.  The project example used the letter "N".  N happens to be a fairly square and flat letter.  D is not.  It is round and not the easiest for wrapping jute.  I would not give up...

I finally wised up and glued strands instead of wrapping.   That made my life easier .

All wrapped up in jute.  It only took me 2.5 hours!!

Turns out my choice in ribbon was the wrong choice.   Glitter ribbon is full of glitter and sheds everywhere!  It also looks very Hannah Montana.  I may end of changing this out.  That is one nice thing about using a glue gun.  

The finished product proudly hung on my front door.    I am happy with the finished product though the ribbon may change.

After finishing my project I felt a great sense of completion.  Even though it was only an afternoon I spent on this, it was done and left little mess to clean up.  I definitely learned a little about crafting.  Wooden letters are definitely not a equal replacement to paper mache.  Glitter ribbon is never a good idea.  I love sparkle but not all over my living room.  It was not as relaxing as I had hoped, though I am such a critic of myself and end up stressing over the silliest stuff.  Maybe that will change once I make it through this list....

January 3, 2013 marked the 6 month mark until my 30th birthday.  To date, I have finished 3 of the 30 (25) bucket list to-dos.  I'm still open to suggestions for the final 5!!!

Until next time my friends.....XOXO, 

Abby




No comments:

Post a Comment