Sunday, July 28, 2013

Carrying on the traditional....18. Make Grandma's Kolache cookies correctly.

If you have been reading my blog since the beginning, you know by now that my cooking skills are not that great.  Why is that?  Because I never cooked while I was growing up.  My mom cooked good meals but she was never a baker.  That job was my Grandma Perry’s.  She would send tons of Christmas cookies every year no matter where we lived.  I loved every type of cookie she made but the Kolache were my favorite.  Sadly, my grandma passed away in November 2012.  I never had the opportunity to make the cookies side by side with her.  Though she probably would have never allowed me in the kitchen with her.  My mom and I attempted to make a batch at Christmas last year with no success.  Instead of cookies we ended up with a smoking hand mixer.  It was very important to me to learn this recipe and carry on the tradition to my future children.  On Mother’s Day 2013, my mom and I decided to try again…. 18. Make Grandma’s Kolache cookies correctly. 

1.  Start a blog
2. Go to the Presidential Inauguration / visit DC
3. Run a destination 1/2 Marathon

4. Compete in Mrs. Missouri pageant
5. Eating a raw oyster
6. Ride a mechanical bull
7. Cook a traditional Thanksgiving dinner by myself
8. Shoot a gun/target shooting
9.  Go Mushroom hunting
10.  Learn to sew / make something I can wear
11. Visit a state I have never been to
12. Drive 100 mph on the German Autobahn
13. Learn to play craps
14. Eat at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ
15. Complete one Pinterest craft project
16. Take a walking tour of a Civil War Battlefield
17. Learn to make a pie from scratch
18. Make Grandma's kolache cookies correctly
19. Take a shot of Jack Daniels

20. Drink a beer the size of my head at Hofbrauhaus Munich
21. Do at least one pull-up
22. Visit Graceland
23. Take a train ride/ weekend trip to Herman, Mo.

24. Make homemade pasta
25. Run a 8 min/mile 5K

26. Take ballet class from the KC Ballet

27.  Reach my Weight Watchers goal weight 
28.  Visit the castle that inspired Walt Disney

29.
  Eat authentic Chicago deep dish pizza 
30.  See the Eiffel Tour sparkle

Like most recipes from our grandparents’ generation, the Kolache recipe was not completely written down.  The ins and outs of each recipe were all inside my Grandma’s head.  And like most families, we didn’t think to ask for specifics until we could not ask anymore.  My Grandma Perry was a wonderful cook and even better baker.  Her cookies were delicious! Since my goal from this bucket list was to become a better cook, she was the perfect inspiration.  Since her passing in November of last year, my mom made sure that our family got copies of her recipes so we could continue the traditional of her wonderful meals and desserts.  The Kolache is the first recipe I wanted to tackle because it is my favorite. 

I had no idea what made these cookies so amazing until a read the recipe.  I was shocked at the short list of ingredients:  flour, ice cream and butter.  Real butter!  No wonder they were so good.  



One of the mistakes my mom and I made during the first attempt was no allowing the ice cream to soften.  Another and more important thing we remembered this time was to use a Kitchen Aid mixer.  The mixer is the most important piece to be successful when baking theses cookies. 



Mixer…check…softened ice cream…check…pound of butter…check.  We were ready to go!   We added all of the ingredients according to the recipe.  





Next, the recipe reads, “Chill dough”.  It doesn’t say for how long, of course!  We decided that an hour would be sufficient.   We balled up the dough, added our filling and they were ready for the oven.  Easy as pie : )  




It was difficult to be patient while the cookies cooled but this is very important.  Otherwise the filling burns the crap out of your mouth (I learned this from first hand experience). 


The recipe is quite simple and we made it though this time with only a few tears.  I had a wonderful time with my mom and we will remember this experience for a long time.  We will never know if we are baking the cookies exactly like Grandma did and that is ok.  Now we have a new traditional that we will carry on and this time we will write it down! 





Until next time…

XOXO,


Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment